Do you feel like you’ve been spending too much at the pump lately? Have you been eyeing those new models with their high advertised mpg ratings?
You don’t have to invest in a brand new car to get better gas mileage. In fact, experts agree that mileage is less about the vehicle and more about the way you drive it.
And we’re going to tell you how. Here are Bell Mitsubishi’s top 5 fuel saving tips!
- Lift off the accelerator earlier. The more the gas pedal is pushed down, the more fuel is injected into the engine. If you lift off the accelerator earlier and giving yourself longer braking distances, you can save a significant amount of fuel—and increase the longevity of your brakes, too!
- Accelerate more smoothly. Following the logic above, you can also save fuel by getting up to speed at a slower rate. Unless you’re trying to cut off someone in traffic, there’s no need to get from 0 to 60 in four seconds! Do it in 10 seconds and your wallet will thank you.
- Slow down. Once you’re cruising on the highway at the highest gear, every extra mile per hour affects your mileage negatively. Stay at the speed limit and watch the fuel savings climb—and hey, it’s the law.
- Manage the air conditioning. If you need cool air, turn off the A/C at low speeds and open windows instead, or else the compressor will need to work too hard and hurt your gas mileage numbers.
- Keep your tires inflated. Okay, this one’s not actually a driving tip, but it makes enough of a difference that we just had to mention it. Properly inflated tires produce less friction with the road, resulting in up to 4% better mpg!