We at Bell Mitsubishi are proud to represent a company with such an influential, important automotive history. Not sure where your favorite brand comes from? Check out this brief history of Mitsubishi Motors.
- 1870s: In 1870, the company Tsukumo Shokai separated from the Tosa Clan, and in 1873, the name was changed to Mitsubishi Shokai.
- 1914: Mitsubishi’s iconic three-diamond trademark was registered.
- 1921: Mitsubishi established Mitsubishi Internal Combustion Engine Manufacturing.
- 1937: Mitsubishi developed a prototype of a four-wheel-drive passenger car for military use.
- 1960: After several innovations in the 1940s and 1950s, Mitubishi’s own Shin Mitsubishi Heavy-Industries created the Mitsubishi 500 compact four-wheel passenger car.
- 1973: Mitsubishi launched its iconic Lancer car in the same year that its Galant 16L HT GS won the 21st East African Safari Rally.
- 1983: Mitsubishi Motors Corporation, Heavy Industries Corporation of Malaysia, and Mitsubishi Corporation jointly formed a national car business.
- 1988: Mitsubishi began production of its famous Eclipse model.
- 1996: Mitsubishi established a research and development company here in the United States.
- 2003: Mitsubishi Motors North America took its passenger car business to North America.
- 2009: The innovative i-MiEV won the Car of the Year Japan’s “Most Advanced Technology” award.
Mitsubishi’s history is full of exciting moments, but its future here in the US and throughout the world has even more in store.